Job market & placement is and has been one of the most discussed topics amongst the young graduates for a long time. There are different schools of thoughts on how to perceive it. I identify it as a Marketing undertaking where one markets himself & his capabilities.
Just like a marketer plans every step of his new product, right from idea generation to the product launch, you must also plan your marketing strategy.
You must have heard about the 4Ps of marketing (Plan, Price, Promote & Placement) & how they are responsible for the success or failure of the product, same goes for Job Placement.
You MUST plan your strategy in order for the product to be a success & here the product is
- Plan: Planning is the foundation on which your product (that is YOU) will stand. You must plan every thing in advance (I literally mean it) from selecting clothes for the interview to how you will respond to their questions.
As the saying goes “If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail”Remember the following key points:
- Price: In dictionary Price is defined as ‘The cost at which something is obtained’, so every product that one wants to acquire must be paid for. Since in our discussion the product is YOU, therefore, it is necessary to identify your market value. Many graduates fail to realize this fact & are unable to understand the importance of their market value.
Ask yourself following questions:
1. Once you have identified your market value ask your self WIIFT (What’s In It For Them?).
2. Why should that organization hire you?
3. What makes you special among the other graduates sitting in the same room for interview?
4. What’s your USP? (Unique Selling Proposition)
If you know the answers to these questions you have almost hit the bull’s eye ;)
- Promote: A marketer always promotes his product in the best possible manner. Be it highlighting the characteristics & benefits of his product or the packaging itself. For a marketer his product is one of the best things in the world. You have to follow the same strategy, consider yourself as a product & then promote yourself.
An important aspect which most of our young graduates forget to focus on is following their heart. You can do best when you want to do it from your heart. Do what you LOVE to do because when you start a job that you love to do, it no more remains a job but becomes a source of happiness for you.
- Placement: A marketer knows the importance of placement of product & its role in success of the product. Just like a marketer you must also have a placement strategy for yourself. You must know what’s going on in the market; your eyes & ears must be open to experience & analyze the trends in the market.
A marketer keeps his target market in his mind while developing a product for them; similarly you must also know what your target market is (industry that you want to join) in order to successfully launch your product, which is YOU. Asking yourself following questions will help in this regard:
- How is the overall market situation like?
- What industry should I choose?
- What is the recent trend in the industry I want to join?
- What organizations should I apply for?
- Whom should I approach & how should I make my move?
Some Routine Tips:
- Be confident (Eye contact & a graceful smile shows confidence)
- Market yourself in the best possible manner (dress smartly)
- Get feedback from the interviewer, if possible
- Know your worth
- Pursue a career that gives you happiness
- Do something extra (what’s your USP?)
Wish you all the best & remember the ‘extra’ part while attempting anything in life :)
You can contact Me @ email@example.com, or visit his Blog http://sahibkarimkhan.wordpress.com/ for more info